No one plans on it, but the truth is that many of us could be involved in a car accident at some point in our lives. As one of the most reliable providers of auto glass repair in Princeton NJ, ABS Auto Glass has seen firsthand the damage that accidents can cause, and how being prepared can make a world of difference.
Driving defensively and knowing the steps on what to do following the accident are crucial to maintaining the safety of you, your family and your vehicle. If you’re ever involved in a car accident, remember to take these steps before doing anything else.
- Move to safety. If you are not seriously injured and it is safe for you to do so, move your vehicle to a safe location. Since most accidents occur on the highway, this is likely to be an off-ramp or shoulder. If your car is seriously damaged and cannot move, turn on your hazards.
- Check on the other driver. If it is safe to do so, exit your vehicle and check on the other driver. If they are injured, call 911 immediately.
- Call the police. When it comes to insurance, filing a police report for even minor accidents can be a huge help. When the police arrive, do not admit blame or blame the other party; allow them to judge the scene and objectively determine who is at fault.
If police cannot make it to the scene, you can file an accident report with the DMV.
- Document the damage. Grab your smartphone and grab a few shots of the scene. Catch photos of every part of your vehicle that has been damaged, and check all windows and windshields to determine if you will need to call a service providing auto glass replacement in Princeton NJ. These photos will come in handy when filing an insurance claim.
- Get the other driver’s information. Collect personal information from the other driver, including their name, license plate number, insurance provider and number, make and model of the vehicle, and contact information from eyewitnesses. This will act as insurance should a claim go to court.
If you are involved in an auto accident, be sure to follow these steps. We here at ABS Auto Glass want you to be safe out on the road. Additionally, if you are in need of auto glass repair or replacement, be sure to contact our friendly staff today!